VILSACK APPROVES RENEWABLE ENERGY PACKAGE
5/30/2006 Governor Tom Vilsack approved several bills
VILSACK APPROVES RENEWABLE
Des Moines, Iowa – State Representative Bob Kressig of Cedar Falls was pleased today that Governor Tom Vilsack approved several bills to make Iowa the world leader in renewable energy.
"At the beginning of the session, one of my top priorities was to work together and create a renewable energy package that will make us a world leader of renewable energy," said Kressig "The package Governor Vilsack signed today will create good jobs in our state, add value to our crops and reduce our dependence on foreign oil."
The renewable energy package includes:
- $13 million to help retailers establish E-85 and biodiesel pumps at fueling stations
- Tax credits to retailers to encourage more sales of ethanol and biodiesel
- Prohibits big oil companies from banning E-85 in franchise agreements with local gas stations
- Sets a goal 25% of fuel sold must be renewable by 2020
- Adds Alternative Fuel & Renewable Energy to Iowa’s list of targeted industry clusters
- Incentives for utilities to use soy-based products
- Sales tax exemption for equipment capable of converting solar radiation into other forms of energy
- Expands wind energy tax credits available to small producers of wind energy
"Renewable energy holds great promise for the future of our state. We are already seeing a boom in the ethanol and biodiesel industries and we need to continue to build on that effort. We will also work to develop new alternative energy options to end our dependence on foreign oil."
Vilsack signed five bills today relating to renewable energy at a bill signing at the State Capitol and in Sioux City. The bills signed by Vilsack were Senate File 2402, House File 2759, Senate File 2399, Senate File 2398, and House File 2754. For more information or to view the bills go to www.legis.state.ia.us.
# # #